Headache Types, Triggers and Causes
Headaches can be very painful and often present with pain in the neck, shoulders and face. Trauma, poor posture, stress, anxiety, diet, coffee, smells, medication side-effects and tension may all contribute to headaches. The triggers are unique to each individual, but there are a few common types of headaches which may positively benefit from chiropractic care;
- Cervicogenic headaches – originate in the neck, shoulders and spine due to poor nerve function, nerve compression or poor muscle control in the neck.
- Tension headaches – the most common type of headache. Dull, tight and heavy feeling on both sides head and/or neck. Associated with muscle stiffness, tender scalp, neck and shoulders. Can occur in children, teenagers and adults.
- Cluster headaches – very painful burning and stabbing pain behind the eye, cheek, forehead and gum. More common in men than in women.
Common causes of headaches:
- Neck injury, strain of ligaments and muscles
- Head and neck trauma and whiplash
- Muscle tension in neck
- Poor posture and work ergonomics
- Eye strain
- Weakened supportive neck muscles.